Thursday, May 28, 2009

Who are you?

Do you know who you are? Yes you know your name, you know your likes and dislikes but who are you? What kind of person are you? Reason I bring this up is because often times I wonder if people know who I am.

Take for example yesterday. My sister calls me and tells me and asks me for help. I would help my sister with anything but what she asks me is something that she knows that I wouldn't do. She wanted me to lie to someone saying that I lived at my mom's address and that her daughter was living with me.

After my sister explained the reasons why I told her that I would help her in any way that I could but I cannot lie for her or anyone. She didn't seem upset but after I got off the phone I wondered why she would even ask that question in the first place. My sister knows who I am or does she?

At the start of mankind’s history our history, everything was based on truth. There was no twisting of facts, no manipulation or misrepresentation of the truth. Jehovah, the Creator, is “the God of truth.” His word is truth; he cannot lie, and he condemns lying and liars.

It's clear how Jehovah feels about lying but those in the world do it daily. Some do it to get out of trouble. I recall a co-worker lying in my face about something he said he didn't do although I knew that he did. At the end of our little talk he confessed and I asked him why he felt he needed to lie in the first place? He said he didn't want to get in trouble. He got in trouble because he lied.

Jehovah wants us to be honest not only with our fellow brothers and sisters but will all in the world. Recall back in the Garden of Eden. What did Satan tell Eve? He told her that she would not die which was a lie. The bible thus calls Satan the father of the lie.

The fact that “the whole world” lies in the power of Satan tells us why many people lie. But we might ask, ‘Why did Satan, “the father of the lie,” do so?’ Satan knew that Jehovah is the rightful Sovereign of all that He has created, including the first human pair. Yet, Satan desired for himself this lofty and unique position, something to which he was not entitled. Out of greed and selfish ambition, he schemed to usurp Jehovah’s place. To achieve this, Satan resorted to lies and deceit.

Why in the world would we want to be like Satan? Why did my sister who knows I'm a witness ask me to lie? Could it be that it was a test even if it was a small test? Could it be that she forgot that I am a witness?

We all make mistakes, nobody is perfect. Even Peter lied when he was asked if he knew Jesus. He lied three times. Peter caved in to fear of man and lied. But he immediately “wept bitterly” and repented, and his sin was forgiven. Moreover, he learned from his mistake.

Some days later, he spoke in public about Jesus and resolutely refused to stop when threatened by the Jewish authorities in Jerusalem. Surely Peter’s temporary setback and quick recovery should be an encouragement to all of us, who can easily be overwhelmed in a moment of weakness and stumble in word or deed.

So tag you are it. Who are you? Are you allowing Jesus to be your Example? Or are you allowing Satan to be your Example? Till tomorrow. Have a great day.

No comments: