Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Wife

For those new to reading my personal name is Gilbert or as they call me in the hall Brother Rivera. I mentioned yesterday that I was going to talk a bit about my wife and the kind of person she is. If I had to list everything she has done for me, there wouldn't be enough time in this system of things to cover all that my wife has done for me.

I met her when she was 12 years old. I was 15 at the time and if I must say looking back at old photo's of myself well, I was a dork then and still a dork today. When I first saw her I thought to myself " Could there be anything more beautiful in this world than what's in front of me "

I don't know if she felt the same but it was instant attraction. We met through another friend who happened to be riding bikes with her that day. I remember the day that I gave her a kiss and it happened to be her first kiss. We were across the street from our hangout, it was dark outside but I leaned over and gave her a kiss. I don't know if she remembers that.

Since that day we were a couple. I don't want to make it seem as if we never had any issues because we did and I will talk about that. We were young, we were foolish, was this a true love? As we aged we were on and off again because we made many foolish mistakes. I got into drugs and alcohol and became very protective of her. As we aged and the issues with being a young couple started to show themselves in terms of windows being broken, swear words going back and forth, it all seemed as if it wasn't going to work out.

Our relationship started off great but it became very abusive. The drugs were getting to me the Alcohol was getting to me but I wasn't addicted to it. Never really had an addictive personality. I remember the day we were in my 73 Impala and she looked into my eyes and asked me to stop taking drugs and gave me a choice. She said its her or the drugs and that if I didn't quit she would leave me.

It wasn't very hard of a choice so I gave up drugs or so I thought I would. Our Relationship continued to have its ups and downs and I will skip many of the things that really don't need to be mentioned but it all changed when there was a knock at the door. Her name was Becky and she was to become my spiritual mother.

She studied with my wife first, I wasn't very interested at the time but as mentioned in a few posts ago what got me interested was the discussion about the dead. My father had died and because of the kind of person my father was I felt that he would be in Hell and not Heaven. When I learned the true condition of the dead and the fact that I would see him again, I was to excited.

See when my father died I tried to pull him out the coffin. That's how much I loved that man. So I started to learn the truth. Our study was in the Knowledge Book. It was great but I still had to work on my personal life and our relationship wasn't getting any better. It did have its moments but it was still a mess.

Becky gave us the Family Happiness Book. It was amazing. It really helped our relationship. We both learned so many things from that book. It not only helped our relationship with each other but it helped our relationship with Jehovah. We knew that we were living in sin and thus had to get married.

I would love to say that once we got the truth we changed our lives but sadly it didn't happen for a number of years. We were so thankful that Becky never gave up on us. There is more to the story and I will fill in the blanks later on but let me describe my wife.

She is a very loving mother. The scriptures define a capable wife. Proverbs chapter 31 verse 19 talks about a capable wife and asks who can find her? The things that my wife does for me is amazing. Let me give you an idea of what she does.

Monday through Friday - She wakes up early in the morning about the same time I get up for work. She prepares lunch for Jesse and I. Jesse by the way is my 16yr old son who happens to be baptized as well. Anyway, she wakes and makes us lunch. She then gets Gabriel up who is my 6yr old son and gets him dressed and feeds him before I take him to school in the morning.

While we are off to do our thing, she feeds our youngest Daughter Nevaeh. She then cleans the house a bit and gets our other daughter Daisy dressed for her school. She then takes Daisy to school. Gets home and then takes care of her mom. She picks up Gabriel from school and I get Daisy and Jesse from school.

Once the kids return from school she makes a snack for them till dinner. This is a rinse and repeat Monday through Friday. All this she does while maintaining her spiritual goals. When we are sick she goes out of her way to take care of us. I don't know what I would do without her.

Tomorrow I will post a talk that I'm working on. I hope you like it. Anyway, here is some funny jokes I ran across.

The following is Jeff Foxworthy's: "You Might Be A Jehovah's Witness IF....."

If "pioneer" is not a stereo.

If "new light" is not something in the housewares department.

If "tract" has nothing to do with land or farming.

If you know where Nisan 14 of the Jewish Calendar lands on the Gregorian calendar from year to year, and yet you commonly forget your own birthday.

If for you, "Memorial Day" isn't in May.

If you spent days at a baseball stadium, never saw a ball and didn't even have a beer.

If you think "formal clothing" and "Civic Center" belong in the same sentence.

If you wash windows or cars for a living and still own five suits.

If you think nothing of letting your friends stop by to use the bathroom.

If you know the cleanliness of every coffee shop for four towns around.

If you think 2-door vehicles aren't really cars.

If you go to Home Depot and go down the aisle where doors are displayed, and you feel compelled to knock on them.

If you can't buy a pair of shoes without thinking about how comfortable they will need to be while walking residential streets in 98 degree heat.

If you have the tendency to refer to books by color instead of by title.

If you have a shelf just for 192 page books.

If you can't pick up a book, or anything else to read without picking up a pencil or highlighter too.

If you think it is complimentary to refer to someone as "a study".

If you have "get-togethers", rather than "parties".

If after one of such "get-togethers" at your home, your house is not a mess and you have more food than when you started.

If you realize things are getting worse and you're thrilled.

No comments: