Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Final Talk

Well tonight is my talk. Below is the final version.
.......................................................................................
I'm doing to describe a person and see if you can identify who I'm thinking of. I will give three clues. Badge, Blue uniform, and black and white car. Can you identify who I'm thinking of? If you thinking police officer then you are correct. Let me give you another. Huge Red truck, loud siren, fire. Can you identify who I'm thinking of? If you are thinking firefighter, then you are correct.

If we had to Identify a true Christian today, what are some clues that we could give?
Let’s turn to the Bible. Please open your bibles to John 13:35. That's John chapter 13 verse 35.

It reads: By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.

True Christians would have this love mentioned at John 13:35. They would treat one another as brothers and sisters. They would treat one another with respect. They would treat one another with compassion. They would have the best interest for their fellow believers.

True Christians of God would show love, not only in words, but also in their actions. For Example: When we go on vacation we can go to another hall, in another city, in another state, even in another country and be welcomed with open arms by our brothers and sisters. Those in the World who claim to be Christian, claim to have love but at the same time they steal from one another. They hurt one another. They kill one another. Can they really call themselves Christians?

We can illustrate this way, Two gang members attend church. One from one gang and another from a rival gang but after leaving church 2 hours later, one see’s the other. They shoot at each other. One of them dies. Does this show by their actions that they have the kind of love mentioned at John 13:35?

Another mark for identifying a true Christians is respect for God’s Word. Think of Jesus. When Jesus was on Earth he set the pattern in this by showing the highest respect for the inspired Scriptures. He continually referred to his hearers to God’s Word, encouraging them to read it and to apply it. He showed his deep respect for the Bible by living in accord with its teachings every day.

Today, when you hear statements by those who claim to be Christians who refer to parts of the Bible as “myths, would you say that they are encouraging respect for God’s Word? Since all scripture is inspired of God, for teaching, reproving, for setting things straight, wouldn’t a true Christian follow all scripture and not parts of it?

God’s Word shows that there are persons who may have the Bible and even study it but whose works prove that they disown the God they claim to know.

Turn with me to Titus chapter 1 verse 16. Notice what is mentioned there.

Titus 1 verse 16 reads: They publicly declare they know God, but they disown him by their works, because they are detestable and disobedient and not approved for good work of any sort.

The form of worship that they practice is not pleasing to God, because they do not allow his Word to exercise genuine power in their lives. To Identify a True Christian one has to live his or her life doing what is pleasing to God.

Another Identifying Feature is a command that Jesus gave at Matthew chapter 24:14 which states that this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations.
This is important because this is what Jesus said his followers would be doing. Preaching the Good news of God's Kingdom. Let me give you three clues again and see if you can Identify who I’m thinking of?

1. Have love among yourselves
2. Have deep respect for the Bible by living in accord with its teachings every day
3. Preaching the Good News of God's Kingdom

Can you identify who I'm thinking of?
.....................................................................................
Last night as mentioned I spoke to an Elder to make sure I had the counsel point correct since I never received the slip that I had a talk. This talk was given to me a week in advance verbally. It wasn't a problem but at first I wasn't sure how I was going to present the material.

Then it came to me and I woke up and started writing notes. I'm the kind of person who has to receive ideas. If they don't come to me, I get stuck but because I'm motivated off so many things, I have yet to draw a blank and if I do it normally last a day. I get stuck on picking a middle name for my future son than I am with talks.

This was asked sometime ago but I'm not sure if I ever answered. I have been a witness for more than 10-years. I've been baptized for more than 10 years. I want to say its been 15 maybe 16 years. Sadly I don't keep track of dates since dates don't really matter. I've been told that the day you are baptized is a day that you should remember. Sadly I don't but the point is, I'm baptized so really that is the only thing that should matter.

At times I did slip away from the truth because of the struggles I had with smoking but I always came back. I finally said to myself that I cannot be a witness and do these things. Its going to be one or the other. I remained a witness. It can be a struggle at times when you are younger. My problem was that I didn't depend on Jehovah. I didn't pray enough, I didn't study enough. I had one foot in the world while trying to have the other foot in the hall. I couldn't live life like that.

Keep in mind that this was along time ago. I stopped praying when I left the truth but when I came back. I finally got down to my knee's and cried for more than an hour. It felt like the entire night. It was really more than an hour. I begged for forgiveness. I never looked back. It felt great talking to Jehovah again. After sometime and getting out in service I thought to myself, Did I need to go through all of this? It was my own fault.

Kinda like a Parent who tells a child not to do drugs and then the child does drugs only to find out that its bad for him or her? The Parent already told you. Jehovah is our parent. He is our Guide. He tells us through his world the bible what we should avoid. There is no reason to find out if drugs are bad. He already said they are. We can trust what he says. I hope those that are younger and reading this don't fall into life's traps because really, we step into it ourselves. We can avoid most of the worlds issues just by Listening to Jehovah. Anyway see tomorrow.

No comments: