Monday, October 27, 2008

Welcome to the Wall of Text

That's right, this is my wall of text. I've stated several times that this is my thoughts. Let me tell you a bit about myself that you should already know.

Most of everything that I have said had always had an explanation behind it. Maybe it was a reasoning point. Often times when asked a question I could never just say yes or no, true or false without explaining how I came to that answer.

For example, if a client dropped off a computer and I fixed it, can I just put on the paperwork " It's fixed " without giving at least some information on how I fixed it? Maybe the client would like to know what caused the issue. How I resolved the issue and how they can prevent the issue from happening again.

Yes my wall of text that I post is for you to understand just how the question was asked, answered, and how I came to that answer. It is for your benefit. On Earth, Jesus often times had to explain what he meant because people just didn't get it. He also had to use illustrations so people can get the idea but even then they didn't get it so he had to break it down part by part in his illustration so people can understand.

I'm not Jesus of course but the way I explain things when asked has to have some backing. For example, one question that was asked just today was about Halloween. We don't celebrate it. Now, if I answered that question with just No or we don't celebrate it, wouldn't that leave them wondering. Well in this case it did but what I said was this. " I don't celebrate Halloween "

Few hours go by and I guess it was on this persons mind so I was then asked why. So I gave an Illustration to explain myself. I said this: You know I"m a God fearing man right, well let me give you an Illustration which I hope gives you the short version of my reason. Let's say I dressed up in a white sheet with a hood. Let's say a group of my friends did that. Let's say we jumped in my car. Let's say we got out and ended up in an African American Neighborhood. Then I asked the question. Do you think they would be offended by what I'm wearing? It was answered, Of course they would be!!!

So then I said, do you not think that maybe Dressing up as demons, ghosts, and witches is offensive to God? I left them with that thought and went to grab coffee. Few more hours go by and then I was told but it's different I don't see harm in Halloween. I guess they didn't understand my Illustration. I wasn't saying that nobody can do it. Most do things in this world and don't consider what God thinks of it. That is true. I was asked and I tried to give a short answer but then was asked another and then another until finally I had to explain the origins of Halloween.

THE WALL OF TEXT: LOL

The Encyclopedia Americana says: “Elements of the customs connected with Halloween can be traced to a Druid [ancient Celtic priesthood] ceremony in pre-Christian times. The Celts had festivals for two major gods—a sun god and a god of the dead,whose festival was held on November 1, the beginning of the Celtic New Year. The festival of the dead was gradually incorporated into Christian ritual.”

Halloween’s roots, although not found in the Bible, can be traced back to a pagan origin. The pre-Christian Egyptians, Greeks and Romans all celebrated a festival for the dead. These ancients believed that on these occasions the spirits of the dead returned; therefore food was left for them and lamps were kept burning so they would not lose their way.

The Celtic order of Druids worshiped Samhain, lord of the dead, as well as a sun-god to whom the horse was sacred. On November 1, which was also their New Year, they held a joint festival in honor of these gods. It was believed that the souls of those who had died the previous year because of their sins were confined to the bodies of lower animals, and at the time of this festival Samhain assembled them together, and they were released to go to the Druid heaven. On the eve of the feast of Samhain the pagan Celts used to keep bonfires burning, believing that this would protect them from evil spirits.

The many features of today’s Halloween and Day of the Dead celebrations can be traced directly back to paganism. The ancients associated this time of the year with the supernatural and with the thronging of dead spirits, so it was right in line with Catholic church policy to adopt this date for their All Saints’ and All Souls’ Day. The people were thus able to keep their pagan customs and beliefs and still celebrate what are called Christian festivals of the highest rank. But the varnish applied by Christendom to these pagan feasts is so thin that there is no questioning the fact that Halloween is rooted in paganism.

Just how concerned should you be about the dark past of Halloween? In most people’s minds, Halloween is little more than a time to dress up and have fun. But would you not agree that it is important for parents to make sure that whatever recreation their children pursue is wholesome and not harmful? The apostle Paul wrote: “I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons.” The Bible thus condemns the whole idea of putting a Christian mask on a pagan practice!

Also, the Bible warns against the practice of spiritism.(Deuteronomy 18:10-12) While it is true that the vast majority of those who celebrate Halloween would claim to spurn Satanic practices, we should, nevertheless, be aware that historically this holiday has close connections with the occult. Thus, it can serve as a door leading to spiritism, especially for impressionable youths. Pagan rites and traditions tainted by spiritism simply have no place in Christian worship; they are far from harmless.

So what you do in your life is up to you. After explaining in detail and there was more I asked " So do you see why we don't celebrate Halloween " The answer was " Because you do not want to offend God "

Correct answer........

No comments: