Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tuesday

I woke up very early this morning thinking just how fast things for me are moving. My son is about to turn 17 and I recall when I was changing his diaper. Almost 17 years have gone by just like that.

I started to think of his future and what I could do to help. We talked about his goals, his first car, his wife, and of course his spiritual goals. We often have these talks and its great that my son is very open with me.

When I was a kid, I could not be open with my mother. I felt there was much she didn't understand. I felt as if she didn't really know me because those that I called my friends at the time knew more of me than she did.

I didn't want it that way with my kids so I had to be open with them. Of course there are things that kids don't discuss with their parents but in truth if you cannot be open with your parents then you have to ask yourself why. Is it that your Father won't understand? Maybe Mom will give you a hard time?

I know I felt that way. When I came into the truth there were people that knew but many that didn't. I wasn't afraid to tell my mother because I was much older and didn't live with her anyway so it didn't matter but what if you are a child that wants to learn but feel that you can't because of your parents?

Consider the case of children who come to a knowledge of the truth but whose parents have a different religion, or have none at all. What can be done if these parents deny the children privileges of going to meetings and going out into the house-to-house field service?

Can the children rebel against parental restraint, completely ignoring parents’ wishes, run away and share in theocratic activities anyway? That would not be Christian conduct, for the rule is that children must honor their fathers and mothers. Complete denial of all association may call for rather extreme measures so as to keep alive spiritually and do God’s will by preaching to others.

If orders are given to cease from what Jehovah commands or to go contrary to Christian principles, then the Christian must obey God rather than men. But in most instances the non-Witness parent does not go so far as directly to forbid Jehovah’s will for dedicated children, so such parental restraint is like any other obstacle hindering one, such as health, secular employment or physical disability.

Christian conduct requires us to endure it unless some lawful way around the obstacle can be effected, depending upon one’s ingenuity. Christian conduct requires the underage child to be submissive, respectful, considerate, and cooperative with non-Witness parents. Note Jesus’ example on this as found at Luke 2:51, 52. So dedicated children may ‘bide their time,’ progressing in the truth by reason of personal study and whatever association and service, though limited, is allowed them by non-Witness parents, improving their capabilities that can be used when they grow up into less restricted lives.

In the case of children in the truth whose parents do not accept it, their holding to obedience and recognition of parental control is itself an honor to Jehovah. His law is being upheld, His will is being done. A child’s careful endeavor not to compromise on Jehovah’s commands but to accede to parental authority otherwise is obedience to Jehovah.

In such circumstances children need not feel defeated by parental restraints that other children’s parents in the truth do not impose. Instead, they should figure out how much theocratic activity is allowable and do that much. Remember, it is not how much one does that counts but rather one’s determination to do all he can that is important. A young person needs guidance, and a dedicated child whose parents are undedicated should realize this. Nothing is wiser than to pray for guidance.

Tactfully a dedicated child should witness to his parents and try to explain the Bible to them. Forethought is necessary here. Never should a child be insulting or arrogant to his family, never “tell them off” or “get even” for their opposition, never use the Bible as a club. Instead, he or she should show that he desires them to understand the Bible. Do not talk down to them but reason with them, ask their advice in such a way as to get them to answer supporting the Bible. “Dad, wouldn’t you rather I’d go to meetings than to get into some devilment with other kids?”

When parents explode, “Give up this crazy religion!” you can honestly reply, “All right, I will—if it is crazy. But, Mom, if it’s crazy, why can’t the minister show where it’s wrong?” Thus seeds of truth are placed in parents’ minds. It may not be long until they recognize that the dedicated child has something the clergyman cannot disprove, and something the parents had best look into.

“But my case is extreme,” one may say, “and I have tried all this. What else is there for me to do?” Jesus said the first command was to ‘love and obey Jehovah with all you have.’ So in every instance the ministry, our worship of Jehovah, comes first, ahead of others’ commands. Jesus gave commands that are essentially his Father’s commands, and about these he said: “If you love me, you will observe my commandments.”

We cannot obey our family’s desires for us if it means contradicting or refusing what Jehovah commands. Jesus said the second commandment was: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Among our neighbors our family members are nearest and dearest, even though opposed to the Bible. These, then, require our greatest concern. We want to help them into the truth.

Just because they do not see the truth as quickly as we did is no reason for cutting loose from them. After all, others in our community who do not accept the truth, are indifferent to it and even mean about it get our loving concern expressed in our continually going to witness to them at their homes. We certainly ought to do as much for our family members, should we not? This means we must do things to win them, not alienate them. Persuade them, do not prejudice them. Endear them to us and do not make them just endure us.

So one has to keep on planning and using strategy on the home front in order to win the family over to true Christianity. With one’s family, particularly husbands and wives, one will already know them intimately and can know what will work best and most effectively. The rewards for such loving long-suffering toward opposing dear ones are high!

What I tried to do with those in my family who did not believe. I just tried to reason with them. I asked them " If what I'm telling you could be truth, isn't it worth looking into? "

It can be hard but the chance of living forever is worth it. It's worth looking into. What if we all don't go to Heaven, could we be wrong? That's a great question. Can anyone answer who has gone to hell that you know personally? No one....How can they? Scripture tells us that all sins are forgiven when you die. Does that mean that all go to Heaven then? Isn't it worth looking into? If you read that someone made a drink that can add ten more years to your life, wouldn't you give it a chance and drink it? If you were of age I'm sure you would. Now if someone is saying that you can live forever, isn't it worth looking into? Jesus said it many times....

Isn't it worth looking into?

No comments: