Thursday, August 21, 2008

Should 18 be the legal drinking age?


One hundred-plus higher ed leaders (three from SoCal among them) started what they had to know would be a ferocious debate when they came out in favor of lowering the drinking age in the United States to 18. Proponents say the current law isn't working and encourages binge drinking. Opponents say younger drinkers will lead to a jump in drunk driving deaths. (This shot of students on spring break in Mexico, where the drinking age is 18, seems like fodder for both sides of the issue.)

Here is what I think and you can say I'm wrong but here goes. I think the drinking age should be 18 and this is the reason. Well, I have several reasons why. Here are my reasons why drinking should be lowered to 18.

1. They can purchase Alcohol anyway by spotting someone. Spotting someone means that you will have a person over 21 buy it anyway. You will drink anyway. It's up to the parents to teach them about the dangers of Alcohol and pray that their kids will be responsible.

2. You can join the military and go off and kill people but cannot buy a beer? I've always said that this doesn't make sense but again this is just me.

I started drinking at age 12 and because I wasn't responsible I received two DUI's. I made mistakes and it did take me some time to learn but I know that if my parents would have spent time with me and teach me about the dangers of drugs and Alcohol things might have been different. What do you think, should the legal age be 18....

Drop me an email--> Dycerulz@Gmail.com

No comments: