Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Those of the opposite sex

I have two girls and soon to have three boys. Of course Parents teach and guide their children through life and because most parents have been there and done that, they can guide their children to remain on the right path. It can be hard and they will make mistakes but for the most part if they respect themselves, if they learn to listen to their parents they can avoid most of the issues that plague most children.

Of course Parents also make mistakes so Parents themselves need direction. They need Jehovah. Since he created us, he knows us more than we know ourselves. Take for example what teenagers are doing today.

Let's start with Alcohol. I remember just two weeks ago walking to wallgreens when I saw a kid that couldn't have been more than 14 years old asking a homeless guy to purchase beer. The first thing I thought of was my younger years because I did the exact same thing. I also remembered the path that I took because of Alcohol. I have spent more than one night in jail because of being drunk in public. I have two DUI's on my record for of course drinking and driving. It took 13 years to get my drivers license. My Doctor told me several years ago that my liver was shot. I recalled all that Alcohol has done to me because I abused it. All of this came to mind because of seeing that one kid asking a homeless guy to purchase Alcohol. I know several who lost their virginity because of Alcohol. Was it all worth it? Looking back - no it wasn't. The truth of Alcohol is mentioned in the bible. In the book of Proverbs chapter 23 verse 32 where it states " At its end it bites just like a serpent, and it secretes poison just like a viper "

Drugs is another area that teenagers face. The first time I smoked weed I was 7 years old. It was given to me by my sister. This is yet another area where if I can go back, I would have never touched drugs. Drugs in my family is more or less a curse. Recall that my father died because of drugs. My sister's life changed because of drugs. My life changed because of drugs. I've done most drugs which of course I'm sure caused most of my violent outbreaks, which caused most of my suicide attempts, which caused again jail. My drug use started with those I selected as friends. You won't find anything in the bible that spells out " Say no to Drugs " but there are bible principles. Just like you won't find a scripture that says, don't smoke but there are bible principles. For those who say that weed can't lead you to other drugs are lying because my family is proof that it can.

Fornication is another area that plagues our children today. Teen pregnancy has been called an epidemic. However, the tragic proportions of this problem are best seen when the impact of a pregnancy upon one frightened teenage girl is considered. At the very least, she will experience drastic changes in her life that will deeply impact not only herself but also her family and loved ones. I am reminded of yet another story about my little brothers friend. I can't remember his name but I do remember what happened. He was 14 years old and he got his girlfriend pregnant. She was 12. Because of the family religious upbringing, the two had to get married. At first all was well with the couple. That was of course till both got older. He started to become interested in other woman while she tried to remain a good wife.
He ended up cheating on her getting a few others pregnant in the process. He has no money, no job, can't support his kids. Reminds me of a saying that goes, anyone can be father but it takes a man to raise his kids.

Isn't that the truth? Kids should not be having kids. The scriptures protect us from this when it tells us that fornication is a sin. A gross sin. Jehovah is trying to protect us. Let me tell you again from experience. I was 18 going on 19 when Jesse was born. My wife was 15. Keep in mind that I was 15 and she was 12 when we got together. Anyway, when Jesse was born it was great but I learned real fast that it took money to raise him and it wasn't that I didn't have money, I did but I had very little and the little that I did have went on Alcohol or drugs. I was not ready to be a father. It only changed because I learned the truth about God and his requirements. It only changed because of a knock on the door. I'm 35 now going on 36 soon. Still with my wife. I have 4 kids with one on the way. I take care of all of them. My life changed because of the knock at the door. Will others accept that knock as I have? Who knows but the point is in all of this is that it was hard not easy. Kids should not be having kids. Kids should not fornicate.

Think about this - once you give up being a virgin you cannot take that back. It only happens once in your life and don't you agree that it should be shared with someone you love, someone who you are going to get married to. Of course that is not the popular thing to do today but it is what Jehovah recommends that we do.

Since God’s Word condemns fornication and adultery, his congregation of dedicated people on earth cannot recognize couples living in consensual marriage. Before they could be considered as acceptably dedicated to God and worthy of being baptized in water, it is required that those living together in common-law marriage legalize it by an official marriage ceremony performed by some licensed or authorized representative of the State, before the necessary witnesses. For those living in consensual marriage the same requirement of legality becomes necessary, if they are to come out of their state of fornication or of adultery from the standpoint of God’s Word. Think about Mary and Joesph

Mary was promised in marriage to the Joseph, who was to become the foster father of her son. But during the time of their being affianced or engaged to marry, Joseph had no sexual relations with his betrothed Mary. He did not even have them after he obeyed the angel’s orders and took the pregnant Mary. He waited till she gave birth to Jesus. Because Mary’s pregnancy was miraculous, Joseph at first thought she had violated the honor of their marriage engagement. So he “intended to divorce her secretly,” because he “did not want to make her a public spectacle” through a stoning to death for moral unfaithfulness.

Joseph’s ancestor, the patriarch Jacob, had been betrothed to lovely Rachel for seven years. Yet during all this time in which he was working off his bride price, he had no sexual relations with her. Only at the end of the betrothal time did he ask her father Laban for her, that they might be formally married and he might honorably have relations with her. Thus Jacob and Rachel made an honorable approach to their marriage. Good account found at Gen. 29:20-30.

Today when Jehovah’s dedicated witnesses get engaged to marry, they may have no sexual intercourse with each other before they are formally married before witnesses and properly registered as married. If they do not exercise self-control but excite themselves when alone, unobserved, and yield to passion and have sexual union, they commit fornication. Their being engaged to marry does not excuse the act or lift it out of the realm of immorality, fornication.

So we covered drugs, we covered Alcohol, we covered fornication, tomorrow we will cover another subject more about teenagers.

No comments: