Thursday, September 29, 2011

Who really is our Friend??

I recall that when I started to study with Jehovah's Witnesses, one of the things that crossed my mind was the fact that Witnesses were made fun of. On Tv if there was a knock at the door a joke would say OH it was a Jehovah Witness.

I didn't understand then why witnesses were made fun of. As I started to learn the bible, questions that I've always had were answered. It made sense. I always had a strong belief in God but to know his name was amazing. I thought Jehovah's Witnesses was what they were called but little did I know at the time that Witnesses took the name Jehovah because it was based on a scripture.

So I learned that God had a name. It wasn't only witnesses that knew that God had a name for a saw many programs after the fact that explained that Jehovah is indeed God's name. I was so excited that I knew God's name. Could I rush out and tell my friends? I did indeed. Did they care? No

I continued on with them while at the same time learning the truth. As my knowledge grew, I figured I would share what I learned. Did they care? No. As a matter of fact they didn't want me around anymore. They started to call me preacher. When I came around it was like, a few would say. OK I have to go and off they went.

Then they would talk behind my back. Then rumors would start on how I was doing this or that or whatever. My one time friends who I almost died for spoke as if they never knew me. Funny thing was, I was still Gilbert or was I.

I was no longer the Gilbert they knew for I started to put on the new personality. I stopped Drugs, I stopped smoking, I stopped getting drunk. I wasn't even intimate with my Girlfriend anymore till we got married.

I wanted Jehovah to accept me as I have accepted him into my life. I knew that because I was changing that those who I considered my best friends were no longer my best friends. Can I still hang around them? Sure it was my choice if I wanted to but scripture does say bad association spoils useful habits so if I were to go around them, It was to in some way get to talk about Jehovah.

If I couldn't then there is no reason to me too go around them. Because we are imperfect. There was always that chance that they could influence me. I still see some of them today although maybe ever other year or so. Its not like I go to their houses and hang out. I run into them every now and then is what I mean.

Because of how I am. I love to play and have fun and joke it was easy for me to made not only new friends but gained brothers and sisters. See some brothers and quiet but you have to break the ice and have fun. It gets them out of their shell.

But not only those around your age but everyone. Our older brothers and sisters are a blessing. I love chatting with them making jokes. I save my fart sounds for the young and my joking for teenagers and my old school jokes for the older ones.

So did I gain because of the choices I made. Yes I did. What did I lose? Nothing at all because by being around those who did drugs, smoked, or got drunk I could have went down that same road again. Like Lots wife, why look back when we have so much to look forward to.

No comments: